Job opportunity: Data Analyst – Vietnamese candidate only
Open Development Initiative is looking to hire a national Data Analyst to support the development of data driven content on the Open Development Vietnam site. The role will include research and data visualisation support to the Content Officer in Vietnam as well as extended support to the regional team when requested.
Apr 15, 2018 – Oct 15, 2018 (12 months, extendable base on performance)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled.
As soon as possible
National candidates only (Vietnam)
This is a remote position with flexible hours, depending upon the country of origin there is opportunity to work from local partner offices if prefered.
The Open Development Initiative (ODI) is an open data and information network developed by East-West Management Institute, Inc. (EWMI) that sheds light on development trends in the Mekong Region. The Mekong Basin is a trans-boundary ecosystem shared by 6 countries providing a central livelihood and food security to 60 million people as the largest inland fishery in the world. ODI’s objective is to increase public awareness, enable individual analysis, improve information sharing, and inform rigorous debate – all contributing to the sustainable development of the region from a social, economic and environmental perspective. By combining open data, data journalism, and research capacities and approaches, the initiative offers one-stop shopping for data on country or regional development for civil society, the private and public sector. Our regional platform (http://www.opendevelopmentmekong.net/) has been established and now has active partners in all the Lower Mekong countries.
Top 3 Reasons To Join Us
- Online multinational co-workers
- Flexible and active time and place of work
- Full benefits under the State regulations.
The role is expected to involve approximately 38 hours per week to perform the following tasks:
- Source open data relating to content and topics under development for the OD Vietnam site.
- Clean and process this data to ensure data integrity and rigor.
- Maintain clear metadata for the source and processing of this data to enable uploading into the datahub.
- Generate data visualisations and infographics when necessarily to illuminate data stories that coincide with content on OD Vietnam.
- Support data training, open data awareness raising and expansion of the data contributor network where necessary.
- Understand copyright licensing to use data appropriately.
The candidate should be familiar with a number of these technologies:
- WordPress CMS
- R statistical package
- Third party tools and applications for data visualizations such as datawrapper, tableau, highcharts, venngage etc
- Mapping tools such as QGIS, ArcGIS online, Mapbox, Carto, Google Earth Engine or other
- MySQL & PostgreSQL database
Additionally the candidate should possess the following skills and knowledge:
- Proven ability to effectively troubleshoot technical problems and learn/teach new technologies as needed.
- Ability to work in Vietnamese and English.
- Familiar with “open” movement and concepts (open source, open data and open access), past participation in the open community.
- Knowledge of Google Analytic Report
- Experience with social media (Facebook, twitter, etc)
- Having an interest in development issues affecting SE Asia and in particular the Mekong region would be of benefit as well as an understanding of development and environmental sustainability.
- Bachelor in Computer Science, Mathematics and/or Statistics, other IT studies including programming courses.
- Masters or higher level qualifications are desirable.
- Previous work experience in other data analysis or IT development positions or experiences that relates to the Open Development Vietnam agenda and goals.
- English language certificate.
Terms of the contract:
The position is for a full-time posting with on the job training and support. Within the first 1 month of the posting a performance review will be conducted and additional responsibilities and tasks may be asked should the candidate perform well. EWMI-ODI would like to invest in the candidate to build their skills and ability to contribute to the OD Mekong and OD Vietnam site over the longer term. This is contingent upon funding.
All interested candidates should submit a motivation letter outlining why they would qualify for this posting along with a recent CV, in English, listing two referees to Lan Nguyen at email@example.com.